We Wish Each of Our Members a Happy Thanksgiving!
In Case You Missed It…
- Your Feedback Matters About the Fall Conference: There is still time to respond to the attendee survey for last month’s event. Your insights are very important to help us provide the type of program content that best benefits our members.
- Volunteer Opportunities at Interoperability Showcase During Annual Conference (Time Sensitive Application - open until Wednesday, 11/27/19): Click here to apply to be a volunteer today during the conference in Orlando, FL March 9 -13, 2020.
Based on personal experience, one of our Board members, Mary Eleanor Mitsch, PhD, MSN, RN, Professor, Nurse Anthropologist, Health Services Administration, College of Health Professions at University of Detroit Mercy, highly recommends this experience for students and professionals alike. Here are a number of thoughts shared by Professor Mitsch on her experience:
"Last year I heard about an opportunity to volunteer at the HIMSS conference in the Interoperability Showcase. I had heard about this opportunity from member of the HIMSS board and I participated with one of my colleagues. This direct experience could allow me to assess the experience prior to recommending it to others."
"When I applied and was accepted as a volunteer I was given a code that enabled me to receive a free registratiion and my badge gave me access to the full Exhibit Hall and all the education sessions for the main days of the conference. The volunteer experience was actually fun and I met experts in the field that I never would have met had I solely attended the conference. As a result of the volunteer experience, I learned far more had I been a casual visitor to the Interoperability Showcase.".
"The training was efficient and I highly recommend this volunteer opportunity if you are thinking about attending the conference, whether you are on a budget or not. This conference can be overwhelming and this experience provides some structure and networking opportunities that might not be otherwise available."
A few reasons as to why to volunteer are listed below and the identified tasks while at the Interoperability Showcase are identified.
- Gain knowledge about current standards and interoperability activities: You will learn how interoperability works in hospitals, governments, communities and how it relates to you and your career!
- Expand your professional network: You will have the opportunity to network and interact with a team of subject matter experts.
- Receive a complimentary HIMSS20 badge: The badge gives you access to the Exhibition Hall and education sessions from March 10-12th, 2020..
What will a HIMSS Interoperability Showcase volunteer do?
- Act as a guide for HIMSS20 attendees who want to learn more about standard-based interoperability in a real world capacity.
- Assist in tour coordination as well as Showcase visitor activity and flow throughout this specialty pavilion.
- Help answer any questions about the Showcase and enhance attendee's overall conference experience.
3. Questions About Michigan HIMSS Membership? – If you have any questions about your Chapter membership, Kevin Brooks is available to answer your questions. Contact him at any time..
4. Fall Conference Presentations Available: The available presentations provided by speakers are available to all members regarding the conference, ‘‘’Fix the DAMN Roads!’ How Innovation, Interoperability, and Emerging Initiatives are Paving Michigan's Road to Health Equity and Access”, held on October 3, 2019.
1. Michigan HIT Commission – November 26, 2019
The public is invited to the next scheduled meeting with the Michigan HIT Commission.
- Date/Time: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 from 1 pm to 4 pm
- Location: Grand Conference Room, South Grand Building, 333 South Grand Avenue, Lansing
- Website: Click here to visit.
2. ONC Annual Meetings - January 27-28. 2020, in Washington, D.C.
For more information about the conference that typically convenes over 1200 health IT professionals, click here.
- Meeting agenda is found here.
- Register today.
- Hotel reservations: Complete reservations no later than December 3, 2019. More details found here.
3. HIMSS20 Annual Conference – March 9-13, 2020, in Orlando
The specific date for this Michigan Chapter of HIMSS event while at the annual conference will be released toward the end of the year. We will post once available..
- Date: Tentative date to be released once confirmed.
- Location: The event will be held in the Exhibit Hall for the conveniences of our members at the Connection booth, 2059.
We would like to thank our Chapter Sponsors who make all events possible through their generous support. For any questions or information about Sponsorship opportunities, contact Mr. Lee Marana.