MI HIMSS Chapter - More News and Events in the State
As the days of summer begin to draw to a close, it’s time to plan to attend new Chapter events in Michigan!
In Case You Missed This Event…
MedHealth Startup Day - On July 15, 2019, this event hosted startups in Southeast Michigan and Southwest Ontario delivering technology solutions in the healthcare sector. The one-day event provided an opportunity for the start-ups to connect with officials from a variety of HHS agencies. A few highlights from this event were provided by our attending Board members during the morning sessions presented by HHS (To access the full agenda including speaker information, click here to view the information.)
- HHS’ Chief Technology Officer, Ed Simcox, opened the day's event speaking about the importance of opening access to HHS for startups. This event was the 12th in a series of roadshows across United States. He stated that the purpose of the roadshow is to initiate open access to HHS and go against grain of mainly dealing with lobbyists, ex-Congressmen and lawyers.
- The CDC was represented by Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Paula Braun. She was a participant in the HIMSS Interoperability Showcase in February, 2019, and discussed partnering with the CDC and the importance of working with USCDI to achieve interoperability goals.
- The ONC was represented by Senior Innovation Strategist, Stephen Konya. He was instrumental in coordinating the event with host, Paul Riser, Jr., TechTown’s Director. Stephen talked about national application and idea challenges as well as the SMART app gallery as good ways to partner with ONC.
- The NIH Small Business Program Manager, Todd Merchak, talked about the non-dillutive investment opportunities via the SBIR/STTR program.
- Lunch was provided and it was an excellent opportunity to network. The day concluded with breakout sessions for medical devices, population health, telemedicine as well as healthcare and mobility.
- The WEtech Alliance, representing one of seventeen Regional Innovation Centres in the Province of Ontario, and funded by the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs, was a participant.
- The event was held at TechTown Detroit located at 440 Burroughs Street in Detroit.
- Good panel discussion on business development opportunities in health IT across Southeast Michigan and Ontario (Detroit – Windsor corridor) featuring Irek Kusmierczyk of WEtech Alliance, Dr. Anne Snowden of Supply Chain Advancement Network in Health, Virginia Wilkinson of Detroit Economic Growth Corp, and Philip Olla of Audacia Bioscience.
Register Today for the Annual Fall Conference - October 3rd in Novi!
The MI Chapter of HIMSS is pleased to provide more details about this exciting and timely conference addressing current challenges in both healthcare and technology.
Conference Title: "Fix the DAMN Roads!" How Innovation, Interoperability, and Emerging Initiatives are Paving Michigan's Road to Health Equity and Access
Date / Time: Thursday, October 3, 2019 – 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Location: Venue is in the Metropolitan Detroit area at the Sheraton Detroit- Novi Hotel, 21111 Haggerty Rd., Novi MI 48375; phone number 248.349.4000
Hotel Details: Call the Marriott reservations at 1.800.721.7033 and advise them of the name of the event: State Chapter of Health Info Services-Michigan HIMSS Chapter. Chapter member room rate of $149 per night based on arrival on 10/2/19 and departure on 10/3/19 (conference date). Hotel reservations must be received on or before Tuesday, September 17, 2019, in order to be eligible for the discounted room rate.
- MI HIMSS Members - $75.00
- Non-Member (Fee includes one year MI Chapter Membership) - $95.00
- Government or Military Employee - $82.00 (Courtesy discount applied for non-members. When registering, please use your employer email address.)
- Student Member - $35.00
- Student Non-Member - (Fee includes one year MI Chapter Membership) - $50.00
Updated Agenda (Speaker photos and biographies are found on the Chapter website) :
- Morning Key Note Speaker: Kimberlydawn Wisdom, MD, MS, SVP, Community Health and Equity and Chief Wellness and Diversity Officer, Henry Ford Health System, Michigan’s First Surgeon General. Dr. Wisdom has been named one of the top 25 Innovators in U.S. Healthcare by Modern Healthcare in the August 16, 2019, issue.
Topic: What Michigan as a state needs to do and what we should do as a nation to advance on the road to wellness, improving health equity and access.
- FHIR-Side Chat Speakers: Robert Dieterle, EnableCare Group, and Hans Buitendijk, EHR Associate Chair, HIMSS Interoperability and Standards Work Group, Cerner. Topic: Interoperability, public policy, technology, standards: HITAC, FHIR, DaVinci, SDOH, Innovative Initiatives
- The Gravity Project Speaker: Evelyn Gallego, MBA, MPH, CPHIMS, SIREN/HL7 Gravity Project Program Manager, EMI Advisors, LLC [The Gravity Project is a national collaborative to advance interoperable social risk and protective factors documentation.] Topic: Data Standards and Social Determinants of Health
- Michigan State Interoperability Roadmap Panel Discussion: Sara Esty, Senior Deputy Director, Policy and Planning, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, Michigan HIT Commission; Nicholas D’Isa, Director of Compliance and Legal, Physicians Health Plan (Michigan) and Co-Chair, Michigan HIT Commission and Valerie Rogers, MPH, Director, Government Affairs, HIMSS
- Afternoon Key Note – Clinical Standards and Quality: Quality Measures and Value-Based Incentives, Michelle Block Schreiber, MD, Director, Quality Measurement and Value-Based Incentives Group, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid.
- Quality Measures Panel Discussion: Michelle Block Schreiber, MD, Director, Quality Measurement and Value-Based Incentives Group, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, Bruce Maki, MA, M-CEITA, Program Manager, Altarum Institute, and Maggie Lohnes, RN, MBA, CPHIMS, FHIMSS, Research Associate-Clinical Quality Measure Lead, Health Division, IMPAQ International.
- Technical Innovations – How Artificial Intelligence, Mobile Patient Focused Technologies and Innovation Can Improve Wellness and Equity While Reducing Disparities: Adam Culbertson, Health IT Program Manager, Boston Children’s Hospital and Innovator; former Innovator-in-Residence, ONC, and Lenel James, CPEHR, CPHIT, Senior Project Manager, Industry Standards and eHealth National Programs, Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
- A Michigan and Illinois, Robert Wood Johnson Initiative, Data Across Sectors for Health (DASH): Melissa Morehead, Policy Strategist Policy Manager, Michigan Public Health Institute
Sponsorship Opportunities: To learn about available sponsorship opportunities, please contact Mr. Lee Marana.
New Conference on HIEs – Lansing, September 19, 2019
- Title: Moving Concept to Reality: It’s All About HIE
- Date / Time: Thursday, September 19, 2019, 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Location: East Lansing Marriott, 300 M.A.C. Avenue, East Lansing, MI
- Target Audience: Primary Care Practice Teams, Physicians, Advanced Practice Providers, Physician Organization leaders, and Students
- Learning Objectives: Conference participants will learn about the impact HIE continues to have on providers and the healthcare community. Sessions will feature speakers sharing their experiences, success stories, and visions of where we are headed in the future.
- Key Note Speaker: Paul Harkaway, MD, Chief ACO Development Officer, Trinity Health Michigan
- Registration: Click here to register
- CME provided by Practice Transformation Institute. This Conference has been reviewed. Once all documents have been submitted this Conference will quality for 4.75 credits.
National Health IT Week
Join your colleagues in celebrating National Health IT Week from September 23-27, 2019. For updated information about various activities, visit the website. #IHeartHIT is the designated hashtag to share your stories about the impact of health information and technology.
We would like to thank our Chapter Sponsors who make this and other events possible through their generous support. For any questions or information about Sponsorship opportunities, contact Mr. Lee Marana.