HIMSS MI Chapter - February 2021 No. 2 Newsletter
Looking for Michigan learning opportunities? Find one that meets your interest this month and in March. Join us!
Open Board Position for Fiscal Year 2021-2022
The HIMSS Michigan Chapter has an open position for Communications Board member for the fiscal year 2021-2022. This is an excellent opportunity for members who would like to contribute to providing timely Chapter information to our members across the state of Michigan. The position provides the volunteer with a broad understanding and engagement of all Board activities over time and the opportunity to share the information of interest to our constituents. This role will focus on supporting other Board members who identify new information to be shared with membership in the form of newsletters, website updates, social media, membership surveys, event registration, and any related materials to complement planned Chapter activities. If you seek to apply your Communications skills and are interested in collaborating with Board activities that span advocacy, membership, programs, finance, student engagement, and more, submit your Communications experience and contact information to Dara Barrera, Chapter President, for consideration. Please submit your interest by no later than April 15, 2021 for consideration.
- February 23, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. – HIT Commission Meeting, Michigan Health Information Technology Commission
- March 3, 12 p.m.-3:30p.m. – HIMSS Virtual Career Fair
- March 17, 12 p.m.-1 p.m. – Webinar: The Sharing & Exchange of Behavioral Health Information
- 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. - Connecting Michigan for Health and More, Introduction to Healthcare Technology 3.0 – Exploring the New Paradigm
- March 29-30, 2021 from 12 noon to 5 p.m. each day – Virtual 2021 ONC Annual Meeting
Events and Activities
1. Virtual HIT Commission Meeting, Michigan Health Information Technology Commission
- Date/Time: Tuesday, February 23, 1 p.m.-3 p.m.
- Meeting Access Via Zoom: Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/5172849612?pwd=aGJlQ2pSWjBRWEZ3Rk4yZk1jTHRNdz09 Password: 330300 Find local AT&T Numbers: https://zoom.us/u/adQgQRP7kE
- Meeting Access Via iPhone One-Tap: 301.715.8592 with Meeting ID 5172849612# or 312.626.6799 with Meeting ID 5172849612#
- Meeting Access Via Phone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): Several numbers are available to access the call -
2. Virtual Career Fair – March 3, 2021
- Date / Time: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 from 12 noon to 3:30 pm (Eastern)
- Registration: Attend this free event. Register here.
Who Should Attend
- Students getting ready for what’s next
- Recent graduates ready to make their mark
- Experienced professionals looking to break into the industry
- Established professionals who want to advance their career
Register and then upload your resume before the fair so employers can review your qualifications for the positions they’re looking to fill. During the fair, attendees can research companies, explore career opportunities and chat one-on-one with employers. In addition, attendees have the chance to share their personal background and work experience, and ask employers questions about their open positions.
3. Webinar: The Sharing & Exchange of Behavioral Health Information – March 17, 2021
- Date / Time: Wednesday, March 17, 2021
- Registration: Register for this free webinar by clicking here.
- Speaker: Haley McCrary, MPH, Project Manager, Behavioral Health, Altarum
Sharing protected health information (PHI) is an important part of delivering quality health care. However, physical and behavioral health providers in Michigan still struggle to navigate the laws that govern the exchange of behavioral health (BH) information. Altarum, with funding from the Michigan Health Endowment Fund, has been helping the state overcome these barriers. Working with clinicians, payers, and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS), Altarum’s team of public health professionals, BH specialists, regulatory analysts, graphic designers, and implementation experts have created the tools and resources clinicians need to increase information sharing. The Altarum team has also uncovered and analyzed important data on what motivates payers and providers to share information electronically, what stops them from sharing, and what resources they need to increase sharing. In this presentation, we will share the lessons the Altarum team has learned about increasing the exchange of physical and behavioral health information statewide.
Haley McCrary, MPH, is a Project Manager for Behavioral Health at Altarum. Her expertise is in evaluating health education and behavioral change efforts in rural, domestic, and international settings. In addition, she has specialties in Quantitative Research and Mixed-Methods Evaluation specific to Behavioral Health. McCrary holds a master's degree in public health from the University of California, Davis.
4. Connecting Michigan for Health and More: March 23rd Keynote Speakers Announced
Michigan Health Information Network Shared Services (MiHIN) is excited to announce an all new virtual for 2021! This series will include event seriesfive , a combination of full-day conferences and half-day workshops, which aim to bring together leaders in healthcare, legal policy, interoperability, and many more. eventsConnecting Michigan for Health and More - MiHIN
Throughout the year, we will explore the new paradigm of Healthcare Technology 3.0 and its implications for the ongoing evolution of healthcare delivery, experience, cost, and outcomes. Topics will include, but are not limited to, social determinants of health, CMS/ONC final rules, eConsent, and virtual care.
2020 has been a “perfect storm” across the healthcare continuum. Many of the issues and topics that have been top of mind in healthcare for the last few years will still be pertinent in 2021 but must now be viewed in the context of all that transpired in the previous year.
- Date/Time: Tuesday, from 8 am to 3:30 pm (Eastern) – Introduction to Healthcare Technology 3.0 – Exploring the New Paradigm
- Registration: Click here to register.
- Opening Speaker - Dr. Geeta Nayyar, M.D., M.B.A., Executive Medical Director, Salesforce
- Closing Speaker - Melissa A. Kotrys, MPH, Chief Executive Officer, Health Current
- Agenda for March 23rd Event: Download a copy of the agenda
Connecting Michigan for Health and More:
- – Social Determinants of Health Workshop
- – Virtual Care (Telehealth & Patient Reported Outcomes) Workshop
- – Sharing Psychiatric ADT and Treatment Center Notifications Workshop
- – Summary of Healthcare Technology 3.0 – Exploring the New Paradigm
5. 2021 Virtual ONC Annual Meeting
- Dates/Times: Monday, March 29, and March 30, 2021 from 12 noon to 5 pm (Eastern) each day
- Topics include: health IT, healthcare, public health, and technology
- Registration: Click here to register today.
- Agenda: Not available yet. When registering, you can receive email updates.
- Social Media: #ONC2021
We would like to thank our Chapter Sponsors who make our events and efforts possible through their generous support. For any questions or information about Sponsorship opportunities, contact Mr. Dan Boyle.